This varies between candidates. This is decided on a case by case basis according to existing experience and route taken.
None on this specific qualification, however, all gas engineers are required to become recertified every 5 years via a reassessment and renewal. Plus, according to requirements by the MOCOPA scheme for power, every 3 years qualified power smart meter installers should undertake a reassessment on power.
Smart Meter Installers fit new gas and electricity meters into customers homes and businesses. They also maintain and repair them. During installation, installers also show customers how to use their new meter. If you have good practical skills, can get on easily with people and want a career that gets you out and about, this may be the right job for you.
The installation of 50 million smart gas and electricity meters is expected by 2020, and because of this, smart meter installers are required. This course has been developed as a direct response to this technological development. Because specific knowledge of gas and electric is required for smart meter installations, it is vital that operatives have knowledge on both. This course allows learners to gain the knowledge and experience needed without duplicating any previous qualification training.
You can become qualified in the following areas:
- Diploma in Smart Metering: Dual Fuel
- Diploma in Smart Metering: Gas
- Diploma in Smart Metering: Power
Please be advised that both courses will not qualify operatives to work on installation pipework or electrical installation other than that required to facilitate the meter exchange.
Learners are given an on-site portfolio book and qualification book where detailed of guided learning hours and supervised work are recorded. Learners will first learn the fundamentals of smart meter installation and exchange in a controlled environment readying them for real-life scenarios. Learners will then build a portfolio on-site supervised by an experienced and competent smart meter installer. The supervisor will guide learners through, offering advice and checking over work before signing each task off. On successful completion, learners qualifications will be uploaded to the Gas Safe Register. From there, learners can apply for their Gas Safe Registration card and can begin smart meter installation.
Our certification company, Logic, advise the course modules to contain:
Common Units (for gas or power or dual fuel)
- Working Practices in the Energy and Utilities Sector L/502/9858
- Working Safely in the Energy and Utilities Sector A/502/9855
- Using and Communicating Technical Information in the Energy and Utilities Sector J/503/0233
- Delivering Customer Service When Working Within the Energy and Utilities Sector F/502/9856
- Install and Commission Communication Systems for Smart Meters A/503/0231
Electric Meter Units (power only and dual fuel)
- Install Single Phase Meter and Associated Equipment M/600/3988
- Change Single Phase Meter and Associated Equipment A/600/3993
Gas Meter Units (gas only and dual fuel)
- Applied Practices and Principles for Installing Low Pressure Natural Gas Smart Meters up to U6 only K/503/0256
- Prepare, Install and Commission Low Pressure Natural Gas Smart Meter and Regulator up to 6.0m³/hr F/503/0232
- Low Pressure Gas Smart Meter Tightness Testing and Direct Purging J/502/9857
The following units are optional and do not form part of the main qualification
- Install Multi Phase Meter – Whole Current New Connection J/600/4001
- Change Multi Phase Meter – Whole Current F/600/4000
- Install Single Phase Meter and Associated Equipment on Multi-phase cut-out New Connection M/600/4008
- Change Single Phase Meter and Associated Equipment on Multi-phase cut-outs T/600/4009
- Prepare, install and commission medium pressure natural gas smart meter and regulator up to 6.0m³/hr F/505/0884
You do not need any specific qualifications to start training as a Smart Meter Installer however you do need to be employed by a smart energy supplier, or have access to on-site supervised workplace practice and experience (as a placement or work experience). Achievement of the diploma gives training equivalent to CMA1 and MET1 but does NOT provide a route into other areas within the ACS gas scheme.
Observation within the workplace by a Gas Safe Registered Smart Meter Installer or a realistic simulation in the training centre, and short written answers and multiple choice exam.